I love to entertain my family and friends...especially in the summer! This summer—July fourth weekend to be exact—I prepared two delicious and easy desserts. Each recipe makes enough for at least twelve large servings and are both super easy to make with basic ingredients from the grocery store.
Both of these desserts are served cold—making them perfect for warm summer evenings.
Samoa, does that word ring a bell? Yes, it’s a type of Girl Scout cookie—no cookies for you though—I have a cake instead!
No Bake Samoa Cake: Adapted from a recipe at Don’t Sweat the Recipe
- 2 packages (3.4 oz) coconut or vanilla instant pudding mix*, dry
- 3 C milk
- ¼ C caramel sauce
- Chocolate sauce for drizzling
- 12 oz. Cool Whip
- 2-3 packages classic shortbread cookies
- 1 ½ C of toasted coconut
- 1 C milk (for dipping the cookies)
Blend milk and vanilla pudding packets for about 2 minutes. Add caramel sauce and stir. Fold in Cool Whip. Refrigerate while you toast the coconut.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Toast coconut until lightly brown about 10 minutes. Watch closely and stir about every 3 minutes (coconut will burn quickly).
Dip the cookies in milk for a second or two** and layer them to cover the bottom of a 9”x13” pan. Break cookies accordingly to fill pan entirely.
Pour half of pudding/cool whip mixture on top and level. Drizzle caramel sauce and chocolate sauce on top of pudding layer. Sprinkle with half of the toasted coconut. Repeat each layer, finishing with the second layer of sauces and toasted coconut.
Refrigerate overnight, serve and enjoy!
* I used only vanilla pudding; ** I dunked the cookies in milk, but next time I will make it without dunking
The second recipe, Frozen Grasshopper Pie, was conceived after a request for Grasshopper Pie Ice Cream from Joshua (Paige’s boyfriend)—but unfortunately it’s no longer sold in stores!
- 1½ Qt Mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 1 pkg Chocolate mint cookies - such as Keebler Grasshopper Mint & Fudge Cookies
- 8”X8” pan of brownies - I baked a pan of Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownies earlier in the day.
Remove ice cream from freezer and allow to soften for 10-15 minutes.
In a 9” springform pan layer the ingredients as directed below:
- Brownies to cover the bottom of the 9” pan.
- Ice cream layer - half of the ice cream
- Smashed Chocolate mint cookie layer to cover ice cream
- Ice cream layer
- Smashed cookies and a few brownie crumbles.
Freeze for at least 3 hours until solid. Remove from freezer and allow to slightly thaw. Cut and serve!
My family enjoyed both of the desserts. They suggested that I add them to my list of recipes for family gatherings. I am confident that your family and friends will love them too! Leave me a comment and a photo of your creations.